Thursday, October 31, 2013

Finance and Investments

Personal Finance and Investment Strategies:  May seem like a boring subject to read about but it is so essential.  My life is not a good example I've not been taught about saving but rather about survival.  How can I plan ahead when I've not met the balance line.  I'm near forty years old and I have no savings, stocks or bonds, instead I have many, many, many debts.  It all started when I was born.  Born into an immigrant family not only poor in their original country but also poor in this country.  My parents divorced when I was nine my mother knew that in our country we would never get out of poverty she tried believe me she did. My mom attempted to sell things like corn on the cob, she put on a little store in our home, when all else failed she went to people's houses and cleaned and did laundry.  I know because I remember being with her. What about my Dad you wonder well he, to make a story short they divorced and my mother brought her four children to this country to find a better life. My mother worked in the fields sun up to sun down. One thing I remember is her saying, "The only thing I can give you is a chance to finish school and try to make a better life for yourself.  And here I am almost forty and barely learning about the need for a savings and stock purchases.  Don't get me wrong I did make one smart move, well my husband and I,we purchased a home ten years ago so we only have twenty more years to go.  But I see that as an investment for our retirement.  I feel that I've been irresponsible because I should have my excuse is that I have had to work minimum pay jobs and I have tried to do the things that my mother couldn't.  Not a valid excuse I know.  The fact is for those young readers you need to set aside and not touch at least $5 dollars a week in one month that's twenty, in one year that's for a young person that is good.  Adults you make a good wage so $20 a week is more reasonable and do the math.  Set a goal like a vacation,or a new car or a hose even the more you put dawn as payment the less money you'll loose in interest.  Stock market is like gambling sometimes but sometimes it is a good way to get a head-start on that savings account.  Employers also offer ways to save for your retirement like the 401(k) where you place aside a certain amount from every check and some employers even match the amount you put aside.  Allow your self a relaxed old age by preparing for it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment